Saturday, January 11, 2020

Letter of Introduction

Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Chester, currently studying mechanical engineering at Singapore Institute of Technology as a year 1 student. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in mechatronics in 2017. Apart from studies, I have a interest in doing community service. I have been doing volunteering such as Red Cross, visiting old folks’ homes and doing spring cleaning for elderly homes. Having the ability to help needy people and seeing them smile warms my heart. Which is when I was doing research on robotics during my poly days and seeing robots assist impaired people and support them everyday sparks my interest in engineering.

My weakness is speaking to a large group of people which I had experienced during my National Service days. I was not very confident while conducting lesson for over 300 people in an auditorium. I would say that I am confident speaking with a smaller group as I am able to focus better without facing a huge number of eyes staring at me. 

The goals that I wish to achieve from this module are being an engaging presenter and improving my presentation structure. I hope to be more charismatic and also having a sense of humor to make the audience feel engaged and more energetic. Structuring a presentation allows the audience to understand the message I want to get across and it adds clarity to my argument using diagrams that support my main ideas.  

I believe that with the correct communication skills set can help me in the future in the workplace. Having said that, I look forward to your classes and strive towards my goal in communication skills.

Best regards,

Chester Lim



5 comments:

  1. Dear Chester,

    Thanks very much for being the first in Group 1 to post your letter. It's informative as you share about your very fine community service, your heavy NS responsibility and your comm skills experience. I would like to know if you see your service as a comm skill strength.

    There are also a few minor issues in terms of language use:

    1. Phrasing
    -- back in 2017 > in 2017
    -- a interest > an interest
    -- My goals that I wish to take away from this module > ? (Do you wish to take away goals?)

    2. lack of parallel structure
    -- to introduce myself and allowing you to know me better. > ?
    -- Seeing robots assisted impaired people and support them > (verb form) Seeing robots assist impaired people and support them

    3. punctutaion
    -- speaking to a large group of people which I experienced during my National Service days. > ?
    -- Although my English language is not proficient as compared to my peers but even so, > ?

    4. verb tense
    -- Although my English language is not proficient as compared to my peers ... I managed to stay calm > ?
    -- as I do not wish to look unprofessional > ?

    5. sentence structure
    -- With a good presentation structure will allow a smooth flow > (with?)

    I appreciate your effort and look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      I have made some amendments to the letter for issues you have pointed out as well as from my friends. Thank you.

      Best regards,
      Chester Lim

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chester,

    As I was reading through the letter, I felt inspired by the content as your acts of kindness and selflessness towards the community have surely impacted many lives in more than one way. The letter also has a smooth transition from topic to topic and overall very enjoyable. However, in my opinion, there were a few pointers that I would like to highlight to you in terms of language.

    1) There were a few issues with preposition, for example:
    -- “at the Singapore Institute of Technology” rather than “in Singapore Institute of Technology” in the first paragraph.
    -- Also missing “the” in “help me in the future in workplace” which makes it “help me in the future in the workplace”.
    -- In the last paragraph, perhaps you could remove the “with” in “I believe that with the correct communication skills set”

    2) Agreeing with the beginning sound of “interest”, which is a vowel, therefore it should be “an interest” instead of “a interest”.

    3) “My goals” can be replaced by “The goals” for this context in the third paragraph.

    4) You could use “diagrams that support my ideas” instead of “diagrams which support my ideas”.

    Other than that, it looks great to me and thank you for such an insightful letter as I got to know you better through it.

    Best regards,
    Chan Cheng Boon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Cheng Boon,

    I would like to thank you for spending the effort reading my letter. I am glad you enjoyed reading it and I appreciate the pointers you gave and I will look into this thoroughly to improve it. Thank you.

    Best regards,
    Chester Lim

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

Module Reflection From the beginning of this module, I was curious about what is expected of me as I have no clue how important techni...